True or False

Compost bins can be dangerous to dogs and cats

By December 14, 2017 No Comments


There are numerous reasons not to let your pets snack in the compost bin. However, the decomposing and decaying organic matter has the potential to grow the mold Penicillium crustosum which produces a tremor causing toxin called Penitrem A. It is referred to as a “tremorgenic mycotoxin” and is toxic to both dogs and cats, as well as people and wildlife. For more complete information, you can read the following article on our resources page in the pet health section: “Summer Toxins to Avoid with Your Pet”

Leave a Reply